Pentax Photokina Wish List
I initially was planning to post a review of my current camera, the Pentax K-7. But is seems a little pointless with Photokina (one of the world’s largest photography related expos) just a few weeks away where Pentax will most likely reveal their newest product along with other new camera models from Canon, Nikon, Olympus, Panasonic, Samsung, Sony, and others.
So instead, how about my wish list of what I would like to see from Pentax. Why not my wish list for other brands? Because I don’t know nearly enough about them for one thing. And secondly, although I have thought several times of switching to Nikon, my current system is working well for me and fits within the current budget. I should also say that I am VERY pleased with my Pentax K-7. Great camera with a ton of great features and at the current price it is a STEAL! Which makes this wish list a bit nitpicky in some ways and includes many “would be nice to have” features and not a “need to have”.
- Better Auto-Focus – Pentax seems to really trail the competition in this regard especially when trying to focus on a moving object
- Better high ISO performance – While an improvement over past models, the K-7 definitely could use an upgrade in the ability to use higher ISO speeds for faster action or lower lighting conditions. I rarely use over ISO 800 but if I wanted to crank it up to 1600 or 3200 I doubt I could get a useable image from it. Also interesting that the K-X (lower end current model for Pentax) actually has better high ISO performance than the current top of the line K-7.
- Full-frame – While I doubt it will happen and it will not be a deal breaker for me like for some, it would be nice to have the option to stay with Pentax and use a full-frame camera body.
- Flash sync improvements – Pentax currently synchs with a flash at 1/180 which I find to be a bit limiting. Industry average seems to be 1/250 which would be nice. Even nicer would be like the Nikon D70 had where you could sync up to 1/500!
- Dual card slots – Again, not a need to have but would be convenient having dual SD card slots for longer shooting, instant backup, or to capture longer video files.
- New flash system – Oh how sweet it would be to have a flash that had the remote capabilities of the Nikon SB900 and their incredible multi-flash wireless system.
- New lenses – Always good to hear some announcements on new lens offerings. Of particular interest to me would be something like an 85mm f/1.4 and something fast and long…perhaps a 100-300mm f/4 or f/2.8. Wouldn’t mind an announcement from Sigma about new lens offerings for Pentax either.
Of course, once again, I could find almost all of this just by switching brands to Nikon. So I will start passing the hat and you can all contribute to the $3k or so I would need to make the switch. For the latest insights on what will be coming out of Photokina, I recommend the DPReview website as well as the official Photokina website.
UPDATE: Looking like Pentax might be making an official announcement on Sept 9. USA time? Japan time? German time? Can’t wait to hear what is announced!!!